New Ideas and more questions.

 Hello again, 

I have been spending this week diving into some other blogs and websites that focus into different technologies used in teaching. Where I currently teach adults in a health care environment I have focused on technology that would boost some of my understanding of technology that is out there to help adult learning and their success within the classroom. The world is changing at a very rapid pace and we as a society is going more towards advanced technology in and outside the classrooms. In my searching I found an interesting article that discussed cased based learning (CBL), problem based learning (PBL), and scenario based learning (SBL). I found this article interesting because I believe our program has used all of these learning pedagogy. We have brought in the use of case studies to increase the learning of diagnosis, symptoms, and the etiology of illnesses/injuries. They look at these case studies and provide some guidance on how to get a person back to participating in their desired activities after injury or disease. As David stated in his article 

        However, there are tensions when introducing PBL to medical education as it takes               significantly longer to cover the same curriculum items vs the traditional didactic method            Wilkes & Srinivasan, 2017).  It is also resource intensive in terms of space and experts’            time (Hassoulas, et al., 2017).  Kirschner, Sweller & Clark (2006) are also critical of a                 PBL approach, citing Albanese and Mitchell’s (1993) study of PBL vs conventional                 methods that concludes that “…although PBL students receive better scores for their             clinical performance…” (ibid:82), they also find:

  • Lower exam scores;
  • No differences in residency selections;
  • More study hours each day;
  • Inefficient use of tests (significantly more tests & less benefit)
I found this to be interesting because we have found that students are more inclined to participate in PBL to get to the problem in the fastest way possible and find the solution even faster. It interesting that the findings they discovered is very similar to what I have seen in our classroom. So here is where my questions and some answers come in. I question how can we incorporate different style technology into the classroom to boost the participation in PBL and the other pedagogy? to help with exam scores, and continue the success with clinical performance? I recently attended the American Occupational Therapy Association back in March of this year. There I attended a class that answered that same question. The professionals putting on the class discussed the use of Virtual Reality (VR) within the classroom to bring in live (virtual) problems and scenarios that students can have live consequences and or success. So my idea is how can I bring this technology to the classroom to be successful with all generations of students we receive. 

Resource:
http://dbcallaghan.blogspot.com/2018/05/what-is-case-based-learning-cbl-problem.html

Comments

  1. Hello Kaden,

    Your observation about students' inclination to engage more actively in PBL to quickly solve problems aligns with my experiences watching my daughter navigate middle school this year. There's a strong motivation for hands-on, practical problem-solving among learners. Yet, there seems to be a gap in how subjects like math are being implemented. In my opinion, there is a high dependency on online platforms and less focus on in-class discussion and hands-on group involvement in solving problems.

    The idea of incorporating Virtual Reality (VR) into the classroom is exciting and innovative. VR can create immersive, interactive scenarios that closely mimic real-life situations, providing a safe space for students to practice and make decisions with immediate feedback. This technology could bridge the gap between theoretical knowledge and practical application, enhancing both engagement and learning outcomes. Selfishly, I wish there were a way to bridge this gap for middle school math as well!

    Attending the American Occupational Therapy Association conference and learning from professionals about VR's potential is a fantastic step. It shows your commitment to improving educational experiences and outcomes. I look forward to hearing more about your journey and the impact of VR in your classroom.

    - Patience

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea to use VR in the classroom is a forward-thinking idea. I learn better hands on than reading and I think that more students would benefit from that type of learning. At work a few months ago, I had the opportunity to look inside a reactor through VR. It was so interesting to see all the components and how everything worked. I learned more in that 10-minute VR than I have in 17 years in my profession. I look forward in seeing how this technology can be incorporated in classes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning about technologies. (Kahoot Edition)

Is this picture a copyright issue?