Learning about technologies. (Kahoot Edition)

 


Hello Every one,

For this week we were asked to talk about a technology that can help peoples learning. I thought I'd take the opportunity to talk about Kahoot. This is a online resource that can be used to help student learn and increase their knowledge in a particular topic through fun interactive games. Kahoot is a free to sign up for with different perks set at different price points. You can sign up as an educator, student, department, and even a whole company to create different type of things to help people learn and increase the understanding of a desired topic. As I have been researching this I have come to realize that I am going to use this in my classroom for adult learners to understand more about Occupational therapy. As I have been playing around with all of the unique and fun games. I have thought, this would be a great way to create study guide for students who are preparing for exams or quizzes. Everybody studies differently and this site can target different learning styles with interactive activities. This can also be used as a presenting tool for business's or teachers. For my PLN, I believe this could benefit teachers with students who don't like to or struggle to participate in the traditional lecture, study options. For HRD, this could be a great source to provide online trainings, collect data, collect employee participation and other things. I'd strongly encourage people to give it a try. 


Comments

  1. Hello Kaden, it's Vaughn.

    I love what you have covered here! It is very true that Kahoot is a valid an effective tool to encourage non-engaged students. However, I will caution you that if you are to use Kahoot, especially on a regular basis, this too will become dull and unengaging for students. (Too much of a good thing, etc.) I have found that breaking up when and how Kahoot is implemented leads to less predictability. This sporadic application lends itself to students asking for Kahoot instead of drifting off as the Monday Kahoot is launched for the 4th week in a row. Perhaps you will take this caution into consideration as you implement the technology into your teaching. Utilizing different game modes, teams/solos, why Kahoot is used (review, attendance, etc.), are some great ways to break monotony and maintain engagement.

    Let me know what you think and if you had anything to add. Love what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for pointing that out Vaughn! A good thing can become boring very very quickly. I have found my self switching between a few different styles of studying. I am doing my project on Kahoot and have learned a lot about it. However I still believe in lots of different forms of giving information to target the different learning styles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaden,

    Thanks so much for your discussion of Kahoot! I think this tool is great for all ages! I mean, who doesn't love to apply their knowledge in a fun ways with a competitive edge? I would also like to echo the comment from Vaughn about Kahoot! becoming repetitive and a bit boring, especially if used in predictable ways. One way you might think about applying it in the classroom is to have students come up with questions about the content that you might use on the next Kahoot. This would engage students more as they are excited to see if their question appears in the game! Not only is this engaging, but it challenges students to use their knowledge and review their learning to generate the questions. Hopefully you can try this out sometime and see if it is an effective way to get students more invested and to allow them to engage with this tech tool in different ways.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Ideas and more questions.

Is this picture a copyright issue?